Friday, September 24, 2021
H.R. 3755 – Women’s Health Protection Act of 2021 (Rep. Chu – Energy and Commerce)
This bill would establish the federal right for health care providers to carry out an abortion, and for patients to receive abortion care, free from state bans and restrictions intended to impede or block this access.
The bill ensures that patients can access, and health care providers can provide abortion services without medically unnecessary and burdensome restrictions that single out abortion services as compared with other medical procedures with similar risk. The bill further prohibits various restrictions on the statutory right to provide and receive abortion services, which include, but are not limited to: a requirement that a health care provider perform tests or medical procedures in connection to the abortion services unless generally required for the provision of medically comparable procedures; a prohibition on abortion prior to viability; a requirement that patients make medically unnecessary in-person visits prior to obtaining an abortion; and a requirement that a health care provider offer or provide the patient seeking abortion services medically inaccurate information in advance of or during abortion services.
The bill states that access to safe, legal abortion services is central to women’s ability to participate equally in economic and social life, and that restrictions on abortion do not confer any societal, health, or safety benefits on a patient and also acknowledges that the U.S. Supreme Court has a history of upholding the right to access safe, legal abortion services, and that this right has been obstructed by states laws throughout the United States for reasons that are not based on medical evidence. This bill ultimately ensures that the constitutional right to an abortion remains protected.
Click here for bill text.
Click here for a one-pager from the Energy and Commerce Committee.
The Rule provides for one hour of debate equally divided and controlled by the Chair and Ranking Member of the Committee on Energy and Commerce.
Possible Passage of Postponed Suspensions (8 votes)
1. S. 848 – Consider Teachers Act of 2021 (Sen. Braun – Education and Labor)
2. H.R. 1029 – Free Veterans from Fees Act (Rep. Steube – Natural Resources)
3. H.R. 1154 – Great Dismal Swamp National Heritage Area Act (Rep. McEachin – Natural Resources)
This bill authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a study to assess the suitability and feasibility of designating certain land as the Great Dismal Swamp National Heritage Area.
4. H.R. 3533 – To establish occupational series for Federal positions in software development, software engineering, data science, and data management, and for other purposes, as amended (Rep. Obernolte – Oversight and Reform)
5. H.R. 3599 – Federal Rotational Cyber Workforce Program Act of 2021, as amended (Rep. Khanna – Oversight and Reform)
6. H.R. 1204 – District of Columbia Chief Financial Officer Salary Home Rule Act, as amended (Rep. Norton – Oversight and Reform)
7. H.R. 978 – Chai Suthammanont Remembrance Act of 2021, as amended (Rep. Connolly – Oversight and Reform)
8. H.R. 2617 – Performance Enhancement Reform Act, as amended (Rep. Connolly – Oversight and Reform)
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
"We must be the great arsenal of democracy."
-Franklin Delano Roosevelt