Our nation’s infrastructure is fundamental for prosperity and opportunity. That includes not just traditional infrastructure like roads and bridges but also water, broadband, transit, ports, and much more. Congressman Clyburn was instrumental in the passage of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act. This new law will:
- Renovate our roads and bridges. Over $100 billion is allocated to repair and rebuild our major and local roads, highways, bridges, and other projects throughout the nation.
- Expand access to affordable, high-speed internet service. The $65 billion provided in the legislation will expand high-speed broadband infrastructure to unserved and underserved households. In addition to expanding access, funds are provided to make service more affordable and to facilitate digital adoption.
- Improve the transit system. This legislation is the most significant federal investment in public transit in U.S. history. Over $30 billion will fund much-needed projects to enhance and provide greater accessibility to more communities through our transportation system.
- Deliver clean water to Americans. The $55 billion allocated in the legislation will help replace America’s dangerous lead pipes to ensure clean drinking water for all.
- Mitigate the climate crisis. This legislation will provide greater protection against natural disasters by investing in green technology that will create a national network of electric vehicle charging stations, and invest in upgrades to our energy transmission grid.
- Increase job opportunities. This legislation will support more than 700,000 new jobs annually, including 175,000 manufacturing jobs, 175,000 construction jobs, and 100,000 transportation jobs.
Every citizen in every state deserves to have access to quality roads, water, power, transportation, internet access, and much more. This legislation will support millions of Americans in their day-to-day lives.