Scalise on House Passage of Border Solution
WASHINGTON, DC – House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (LA-01) released the following statement on passage of H.R. 5230, the House border supplemental funding bill:
“Today, the House took strong action to address the crisis on the border where tens of thousands of unaccompanied minors are flooding into our country – a direct result of President Obama’s failure to secure the border. Rather than giving President Obama a blank check, House Republican Leadership worked with all of our members to get the right policy for the American people and pass a common sense solution to this crisis.
“As the great-grandson of an Italian immigrant, I’m proud that America is a nation of immigrants, however, we are also a nation of laws. The House is the only body that has done its job and shown real leadership in solving this crisis by securing the border and enforcing the rule of law. Last week, the President called on the House to act. Mr. President, the House has taken action. Will you demand that the Senate come back from their recess and take up the House-passed solution?”
Specifically, the House-passed border solution:
- Allows the governors of border states to activate National Guard to secure the border with federal assistance.
- Allows Customs and Border Patrol agents the ability to patrol all federal land.
- Provides increased funding for the Department of Homeland Security for border security and enforcement.
- Amends the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008 to treat all unaccompanied children the same as unaccompanied children from noncontiguous countries.
- Temporarily shelters and assists unaccompanied children.
- Expedites the deportation process by establishing a “last-in, first-out” policy to prioritize the removal of those who most recently arrived.